Learn how to add and remove people in group text messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- You can add someone to a group iMessage as long as there are three or more people in the group and everyone is using an Apple device like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. To remove someone, you need four or more people in the group and everyone needs to be using an Apple device.
- You can’t add or remove people in group SMS/MMS messages and you can’t add or remove someone if they’re using a non-Apple device. Learn the difference between iMessages and SMS/MMS messages.
How to add someone to a group iMessage
- Tap the group iMessage that you want to add someone to.
- Tap the group icons at the top of the thread.
- Tap the info button , scroll down, then tap Add Contact .
- Type the contact that you want to add, then tap Done.
If you want to add someone to a group text message — but they’re using a non-Apple device — you need to create a new group SMS/MMS message because they can’t be added to a group iMessage. You can’t add someone to a messages conversation that you’re already having with just one other person.
How to remove someone from a group iMessage
- Tap the group iMessage that has the contact you want to remove.
- Tap the group icons at the top of the thread.
- Tap the info button , then swipe left over the name of the person you want to remove.
- Tap Remove, then tap Done.
You can only remove someone if the group has four or more people, and everyone is using an Apple device, like an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Want to remove yourself from a group text message? Learn how to mute the notifications from a group text or leave the conversation in the Messages app.
Without your contacts, your iPhone isn’t a complete phone. You can import your contacts from Google or iCloud, but there will be times when you’ll need to manually add a new contact to your iPhone. Here’s how it works.
How to Add Contact Using the Phone App
You can add a new contact using the “Phone” app and the “Contacts” app. The process is the same. In this example, we’ll use the Phone app (as you might already be familiar with it).
Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone, and go to the “Contacts” tab.
Here, tap the “+” icon in the top-right corner.
From the top, you can add the new contact’s first name, last name, and company details.
Scroll down and first tap on the “Add Phone” button.
This will show a new phone number field. Enter their phone number here.
You can now scroll down and add their email address, address, birthday, and notes in a similar fashion.
If you want to assign a special ringtone, go to the “Ringtone” section. From here, you can also enable Emergency Bypass to let their calls through even when you have Do Not Disturb enabled.
Lastly, scroll back to the top. If you want to add a contact photo, tap the “Add Photo” link.
From the next screen, you’ll see multiple profile photo options. You can use a photo from your camera roll, or you can use a Memoji or an Animoji.
Tap the “Photos” button to choose a photo from your Camera Roll.
You can browse through all of your photos here. Tap on an image to select it.
Now, you can move and scale the photo to fit in the circle. Then tap the “Choose” button.
Lastly, you can add a filter to the profile picture. Tap the “Done” button to save the profile photo.
You’ll be taken back in the profile picture screen. Again, tap the “Done” button in the top-right corner.
Now, go through the new contact creation page to make sure everything looks good. Tap the “Done” button to save the contact.
You’ll now see the contact in the Contacts app on your iPhone.
How to Add a Contact from The Call Log
Quite often, you want to save the phone number of someone who has just called you. In this case, you won’t need to enter the phone number itself.
Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone, and go to the “Recents” tab.
Here, find the number that you want to save and then tap the “i” button found on the right edge of the screen.
Now, tap the “Create New Contact” button.
You’ll see the familiar “New Contact” screen (from the above section). The difference here is that the phone number is already added. You can now fill in the rest of the details, including a profile photo. Once you’re finished, tap the “Done” button to save the contact.
How to Find and Call a Contact
If you are new to the iPhone, you might be wondering how exactly to find a saved contact. Well, there’s the traditional way, and then a couple of quick shortcuts.
Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone, and go to the “Contacts” tab. Here, tap the “Search” bar at the top of the screen and search for the contact.
Select the contact from the search results to see their detailed information.
Now, tap the “Call” button to place a call.
Alternatively, you can also use Spotlight Search to quickly find and call a contact.
On your iPhone home screen, swipe down on the display to bring up the search bar. Here, simply type the contact name. You’ll see their contact page at the top of the list. Tap the “Call” button next to their name to place a call.
The fastest way, though, is using Siri. On iPhones with Face ID, press and hold the “Side” button on your smartphone and say “Call (contact name).” On older iPhones with a Touch ID, press and hold the fingerprint sensor to bring up Siri.
If you’re placing the call for the first time, Siri will ask you which number you want to use. After, Siri will directly place the call for you.
Have your contacts saved in Gmail? You can sync and manage contacts from the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
Also known as the contacts app, the phonebook is one of the most frequently used apps on a mobile phone. The contacts manager tool that comes pre-installed on most Android phones has basic features and many drawbacks. Here are some of the major limitations of the default application:
Duplication and grouping: The app fails to identify duplicate numbers in the contact list. If you restore contacts from Google Drive or Dropbox, the phonebook will become a mess. The app doesn’t let users group contacts. Hence, to send messages to co-workers or friends, you’ll have to copy the numbers manually.
Images: Pictures can help people in finding a contact quickly. The app lacks an option to add a photo or group contacts. It doesn’t include a search option. Hence, you won’t be able to find the contact by the name.
Customization: The icons used in the app are ugly. Furthermore, the app doesn’t allow users to change the font and color of the interface.
Android is a powerful OS. You can replace any utility of the OS with the one you want. The Google Play Store has tons of contacts manager app. Here are the applications that we consider as a perfect replacement for the default phone book utility on your smartphone:
- Best contact apps for Android
- Google Contacts
- True Phone
- Contacts Optimizer
Best contact apps for Android
GC runs on devices powered by Android 5.0 and higher OS. It identifies duplicate entries in the phone book and displays an option to merge them. It has the “suggestions” feature with which you can find and add the frequently dialed numbers to the contact list. GC lets users mark contacts as their favorite.
GC lets you import contacts from a SIM card or a VCF file to the phone book. You can also backup or export contacts with it. GC enables you to sort the contact list by first or last name. You can also change the way the app displays names on the list. This Android contacts app syncs your contacts with Google Drive. It allows you to create and assign labels to the contacts. GC has a built-in call blocker utility, but it doesn’t have a dialer. Its size is 3 megabytes.
C+ is a good alternative to the Google Contacts app for Android. It can find and merge duplicate entries automatically. It lets you back up the contacts and messages on the phone’s storage memory. The app provides a shortcut to make calls quickly. To make a call, users must tap the contact’s photo twice. CP allows users to add shortcuts to their favorite contacts on the home screen.
Contacts+ has a caller ID function. Hence, you can get details of unknown callers and block fake callers without using a third-party reverse phone number lookup app. C+ enables you to search for SMS by word. It allows you to see the messages and calls received from a specific number. It has a built-in dialer and SMS blocker utility. Users can set up call reminders in Contacts+. C+ has the option to change the home screen icon and the color of the user interface. It consumes 20 to 22 megabytes of storage memory. The application is compatible with Android 4.0+ operating systems. It has ads.
True Phone is a powerful contact manager app with a built-in T9 dialer. It allows users to customize the interface’s text size, design, theme, navigation bar, etc. It lets you change the date format, dial pad font, etc. You can configure TruePhone to hide the labels, icons, colored avatars, etc.
TruePhone lets you organize and group contacts. It provides an option to restrict the call log history to 1000 items. It supports Dual-SIM phones. True Phone enables you to blacklist phone numbers and contacts. It lets you create shortcuts to contact groups or individual contacts on the home screen. This contacts app for Android supports 30 languages. It has filters to show only incoming, outgoing, missed, or blocked calls in the call logs/history. Users can import or export contacts with True Phone.
If you’re happy with the existing contact app on your phone and you’re searching for an app to eliminate duplicate or invalid numbers, backup, or restore contacts, download Contacts Optimizer. CO supports numbers with special characters. It lets you filter contacts by photos and numbers. It allows you to bulk delete birthdays, contacts, etc.
This Android contacts app includes a wizard utility that will scan the phonebook and recommend optimizations. It has a search-replace utility and an option to move contacts from one account to another. CO enables you to manage WhatsApp contacts. It can add the country code in front of contacts and fix the capitalization errors in the phone book. CO lets you see the contacts that don’t have a name. The application doesn’t have advertisements, but it displays a popup box with a message to buy the Pro version of CO.
Drupe has 10 million users. It is a top-rated contacts app that supports speed dial function and dual SIM Android phones. It ships with a powerful T9 dialer. The app provides several themes for the phonebook and dialer. Drupe includes a caller ID utility. It lets you block spam messages and fake calls. The interface of Drupe has a semi-transparent background. To access it, you must tap on the 3 dots displayed on the screen and swipe it to the right side.
Drupe draws the phonebook over other applications. It includes a call recorder utility. It allows you to find the phone numbers of popular businesses in your area. If your friend uses Drupe, you can send GIFs to him/her. The app lets you star and reorder contacts. It runs on Android 4.1+ devices.
Final thoughts: The applications I’ve shared above are the 5 best contacts app for Android. They have a nice customizable user-interface and many useful features.
Creating contacts on your iPhone allows you to place all of the contact information for a person or organization in one convenient place. But a lot of people have more than one phone number, and they might call you from a number that isn’t attached to a contact. Fortunately adding a number from your recent calls list to a contact on your iPhone requires only a few short steps.
If you’re like me then there is a good chance that you receive a lot of spam or telemarketing calls every day. While you can use services like Robokiller to block known bad callers, or even silence all of your unknown calls, you will occasionally have calls that you actually want which come from a number that you don’t have saved.
The iPhone makes it easy for you to update existing contacts, either through the dedicated “Contacts” app, or by selecting the Contacts tab at the bottom of the Phone app screen. But manually adding a number can be somewhat tedious, and it’s easy to make a mistake. Our guide below will show you a fast way to automatically add a number from your recent calls to an existing contact.
How to Update an iPhone Contact with a Number from a Recent Call
- Open the Phone app.
- Choose the Recents tab.
- Tap the i next to the number.
- Select Add to Existing Contact.
- Choose the contact.
- Touch the Update button.
Our article continues below with additional information on adding a recent call to a contact card, including pictures of these steps.
How to Include a Recent Call Number on an Existing iPhone Contact (Guide with Pictures)
The steps in this article were performed on an iPhone 11 in iOS 14.3. This guide assumes that you already have a contact on your iPhone to which you would like to include an unknown number from your list of recent calls.
Step 1: Open the Phone app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Touch the Recents tab at the bottom of the screen.
Depending on your current device settings you may need to toggle between the All or Missed tabs at the top of this screen to find the number.
Step 3: Tap the small i button to the right of the number that you wish to add to a contact.
Step 4: Select the Add to Existing Contact button.
If you would like to create a new contact for this number then you could choose the Create New Contact option instead.
Step 5: Choose the contact to which you would like to add this phone number.
Step 6: Tap the Update button at the top right of the screen to add the number to the contact.
Your iPhone should have added the number to one of the other phone number options on the contact card.
Now when that number calls you again in the future it will display the name of the contact rather than the number.
Matthew Burleigh has been writing tech tutorials since 2008. His writing has appeared on dozens of different websites and been read over 50 million times.
After receiving his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computer Science he spent several years working in IT management for small businesses. However, he now works full time writing content online and creating websites.
His main writing topics include iPhones, Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Android, and Photoshop, but he has also written about many other tech topics as well.
Available as a mobile app and on desktop, WhatsApp allows people to message friends and family for free using Wi-Fi. In addition to one-on-one chats, WhatsApp users can also create group chats and make voice and video calls.
If you want to add a new contact to WhatsApp on your iPhone, you can do so manually in a few steps.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to manually add a contact to WhatsApp on an iPhone
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
2. Navigate to “Chats” at the bottom of your screen. Tap the new chat icon at the top-right of your screen.
3. Tap “New Contact” to add a new contact.
4. WhatsApp will prompt you to type in the first and last name, the country origin of the phone, and the phone number for your new contact.
- To add an international number, you have to save the number with the following format, without any zeros leading the number: + [Country code] [Full phone number].
5. Select “More Fields” to add a company, email address, or street address. Tap “Add other field” to access even more options, like URL, birthday, and job title.
6. Hit “Save” to save the contact to WhatsApp. You’ll then be able to message and call the new contact using WhatsApp.
A contact group comes in handy when you want to send the same message to multiple contacts every time, especially if it’s a party invite or trip discussion. While iOS doesn’t allow to create a contact group directly, you can do so via iCloud or third-party applications, which are as easy as pie. Moreover, the people in your group can reach you even if your iPhone is in the “Do not disturb” mode.
In this how-to guide, I have covered everything you need to know to create a contact group on your iPhone.
Note: You must enable contact sync in iCloud. To check and do so, open Settings → tap your profile → go to iCloud → toggle on Contacts.
How to make contact groups on iPhone using iCloud
- Visit iCloud.Com on your Mac and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Next, select Contacts and tap on the “+” icon at the bottom left corner.
- Select the new group option.
- Next, name the group, and you’re ready.
Note: This process requires a strong internet connection.
Once you create the group, you can add all the contacts you want in that particular group. All you have to do is drag the contact from ‘All Contacts‘ and drop it in the new group you made.
You can delete the group or a specific contact easily. Here’s how;
Delete group or contact from iCloud
- Select the group or contact you wish to delete.
- Tap the Actions menu in the bottom left corner and select Delete from the menu.
- A menu will pop-up on your screen. Tap Delete to confirm the action.
Tip: You can also delete by selecting a particular contact or the contact group and clicking on the delete button from your Mac’s keyboard.
Use contact groups on the iPhone
- Check the group you made in the Phone app on iPhone
- Launch the Phone app on your iPhone and go to Contacts.
- Now, tap groups in the upper right corner.
- You will be able to see all the groups you created.
Note: iPhone’s messaging app doesn’t support groups. You can send a message to the group via email.
- Use it in the Mail app
Send an email to each person in the group in one go.
- Open the Mail app on your iPhone and create a new email.
- In the “To” section, type the group’s name. You will see the name of the group as a suggestion.
- Select that group, type the message, and hit send. The message will be delivered to everyone in the group via email.
Note: It is crucial to have the person’s email ID saved in his/her contact details. Otherwise, you can’t send an email to that person even if you have added him/her to the group.
- Use it for Do Not Disturb Mode on your iPhone
- Launch Settings and go to the ‘Do not disturb’ option.
- Here, you will see the contact groups you created in iCloud.
- Tap ‘Allow Calls From‘ and select the contact group.
Besides iCloud, you can also use third-party applications to create a contact group on the iPhone easily. One best app that comes to mind is Groups. It is available on the App Store for free (with in-app purchases).
How to create a contact group on iPhone using Groups app
- Open the Groups app on your iPhone.
- Tap ‘Add New Label’ to create a new group.
- Visit the New Group page and name your contact group.
- Tap ‘No Contacts — Add Some’ to start adding contacts.
Note – You can add or remove contacts by selecting ‘Manage‘ at the top right corner.
- Tap Done.
You can also add new contacts directly using this app.
You’ve successfully created contact groups on iPhone!
Now, plan your party or trip with less stress. While I usually stick to iCloud for creating contact groups, third-party apps come in handy if you have don’t have Mac at your disposal.
If you are new to Apple, here are the articles you should look at to use your iPhone and iCloud more efficiently.
- You can add contacts to your iPhone so you can easily get in touch with specific people in the future.
- The iPhone’s contacts feature allows you to store phone numbers, email addresses, and even mailing addresses, along with a host of other information.
- You can save up to 50,000 contacts on your iPhone using iCloud.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Gone are the days of having to remember the contact information of the people you talk to most.
While you used to have to write down phone numbers and mailing addresses, or memorize them by heart, the ubiquity of smartphones means keeping contact information for your friends and family has never been easier. This is especially the case on the iPhone.
If you want to add contacts to your iPhone, there are several ways of going about it — you can manually add the info via the Contacts app, or directly from text message conversations or call logs. Here’s what you need to know about each method.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999.99 at Best Buy)
How to add contacts to an iPhone via the Contacts app
1. On your iPhone’s home screen, tap the Contacts app icon, which appears as an address book with the greyed-out shapes of a man and woman. Alternatively, you can open the Phone app — a green icon with a white phone on it — and tap the Contacts icon on the bottom toolbar.
2. In the upper right-hand corner of your screen, tap the + button to add a new contact.
3. Type the first and last name of the contact you wish to add, and fill in any relevant fields, such as their phone number, email address, mailing address, birthday, website URL, and more. Note that you must complete at least one of these fields in order to save the contact. You can also add a picture by tapping the “add photo” icon in the top-left.
4. When finished, press “Done” in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to save the contact.
How to add contacts to an iPhone via a text message
1. Open the text message from the person you wish to add to your contacts.
2. Tap their number at the top of the screen.
3. In the menu that appears just below the phone number, tap the “info” button.
4. On the Details screen that opens, tap the arrow to the right of the field displaying the phone number. This will launch a blank contact screen.
5. Tap the “Create New Contact” option, then add the first and last name of the person. This is how the contact will appear in your phone.
6. Tap “Done” to finish adding the contact.
How to add contacts to an iPhone via your recent call logs
1. Open the Phone app — a green icon with a white phone on it — and tap the Recents icon on the bottom toolbar.
2. Under the Recents tab, tap the information option to the right of the phone number you want to add as a contact. This appears as a lowercase i in a circle.
3. On the blank contact screen which appears, tap “Add New Contact.”
4. Fill in the name of the contact as you’d like it to appear in your phone, as well as any other relevant info, such as website URL, email address, etc.
5. Press “Done” to finish adding the contact.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to backup the contacts on your iPhone, using either iCloud or iTunes
How to transfer all of your contacts from one iPhone to another using iCloud
‘Why won’t my iPhone charge?’: How to diagnose and fix common iPhone charging problems
How to backup your iPhone to iCloud, your computer, or an external hard drive
Insider Inc. receives a commission when you buy through our links.
You can block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your device. You can also filter iMessages from unknown senders and report iMessages that look like spam or junk.
Block a phone number, contact, or email
There are a few ways that you can block phone numbers, contacts, and emails.
If you’re in the Phone app under Recents, tap the Info button next to the phone number or contact that you want to block. Scroll down, then tap Block this Caller.
If you’re in the FaceTime app, tap the Info button next to the phone number, contact, or email address that you want to block. Scroll down, then tap Block this Caller.
If you’re in Messages, open the conversation, tap the contact at the top of the conversation, then tap the Info button . Tap info scroll down, then tap Block this Caller.
If you’re in the Mail app, open the email that has the contact that you want to block, then tap the contact at the top. Tap Block this Contact.
When you block a phone number or contact, they can still leave a voicemail, but you won’t get a notification. Messages that are sent or received won’t be delivered. Also, the contact won’t get a notification that the call or message was blocked. When you block an email address from Mail, it goes to the trash folder. Email blocking works across all your Apple devices.
Manage your blocked phone numbers, contacts, and emails
To see the phone numbers, contacts, and email addresses that you’ve blocked from Phone, FaceTime, Messages, or Mail:
Go to Settings > Phone and tap Blocked Contacts to see the list.
Go to Settings > FaceTime. Under Calls, tap Blocked Contacts.
Go to Settings > Messages. Under SMS/MMS, tap Blocked Contacts.
Go to Settings > Mail. Under Threading, tap Blocked.
From these screens, you can add or remove blocked phone numbers, contacts, or email addresses.
To add a contact from Phone, go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts scroll to the bottom of the screen, then tap Add New. Then tap the contact that you want to block. To add a contact from Messages or FaceTime, go to Settings > Messages or Settings > FaceTime, tap Blocked Contacts. Then scroll down, tap Add New, then select the contact that you want to block. To add a contact from Mail, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Blocked. Scroll down, tap Add New, then enter the contact you want to block. To unblock a phone number, contact, or email address, swipe left over the entry, then tap Unblock.
Filter messages from unknown senders
You can filter messages from people who aren’t saved in your Contacts.
To filter messages, go to Settings > Messages and turn on Filter Unknown Senders.
In Messages, tap Filters, then tap Unknown Senders. You won’t get notifications for these messages.
Report spam or junk in the Messages app
You can report iMessages that look like spam or junk from the Messages app. If you get an iMessage from someone who’s not saved in your Contacts, you’ll see a Report Junk link under the message.
Tap Report Junk, then tap Delete and Report Junk. Messages will forward the sender’s information and the message to Apple, as well as delete the message from your device. You can’t undo deleting a message.
Reporting junk doesn’t block the sender from being able to send another message. If you don’t want to receive these messages, you need to block the contact.
To report SMS and MMS messages, contact your carrier.