Make homemade Tostada Shells in minutes with this easy recipe! They’re so snappy crisp that you’d never guess that they’re baked not fried. And a technique that may surprise you means they are evenly cooked and never have curled edges.
Those tostada shells piled into plastic sacks that you’ll find on grocery store shelves have never appealed to me. How long ago were they fried? But, until now, I’d had mixed results making them at home.
Here’s the trick: You invert an oven-safe wire rack over corn tortillas that are brushed with oil and arranged in a single layer on a baking sheet. The result: flat and perfectly crisp tostada shells. I can’t take credit for the technique, it comes from the clever people at Cooks Illustrated. But I can verify that it works beautifully, though I did need to adjust the recipe.
They called for baking the corn tortillas for 15-18 minutes, which led me to not one, but three batches burned to a crisp (I won’t bore you with the details. 😉 ). These go from heavenly crisp to inedibly burned in a matter of seconds, so you need to keep a vigilant eye. I found that the best method was hot and fast, in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for a total of 8 minutes, switching and rotating the baking sheets halfway through.
Use these to make Pork Carnitas Tostadas, Chicken Tostadas, or mix and match toppings like Homemade Refried Beans, Carne Asada, Chicken Tinga, Pico de Gallo, and Easy Salsa Guacamole. They make a quick and satisfying meal and are a great way to feed a hungry crowd with toppings served family style.
How to Make Tostada Shells
Step 1: Arrange 12 corn tortillas in single layers on 2 baking sheets (6 tortillas per sheet). Brush tortillas on each side with avocado or other high heat oil.
Step 2: Invert an oven-safe wire rack over tortillas in each baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake in the upper and lower thirds of a 450˚F oven for a total of 8 minutes, switching and rotating baking sheets after 4 minutes.
Years ago, I went out for lunch with some teaching friends of mine. One of the items on the menu was a taco salad. Believe it or not, I had never heard of this delightful concoction. Ever since then, when I eat Mexican, I often choose this as my order.
I love the taste of the hearty taco salad with fresh veggies, olives and a big helping of avocado and the delicious edible bowl is a great ending to the dish.
The other day, when I was getting groceries, I noticed that Rio Rancho actually makes edible tostado bowls. Into my cart they went. They are basically just a big ole taco shell. I’m sure you could make them with a big bowl and a soft taco and oven, but these just need reheating so I chose them.
The ingredients can be anything that you like. I used ground beef, chopped green onions (still a few in my garden), tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, diced peppers, cheese, sour cream, olives and some vegetarian chili for the base of the salad.
Serve it immediately so the whole thing stays warm and add a couple of margaritas to round out the whole Mexican flavor!
Taco Salad in Edible Tostada Bowls
Crispy tostada bowls are filled with a spicy mixture of ground beef and chili for a tasty week night meal.
- 4 Rio Rancho Tostada Bowls
- 1 cup Mixed salad greens Greens
- 1 lb. lean Ground Beef
- 4 tablespoons of Taco Seasoning
- 1 small Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 14 oz vegetarian chili
- 12 Olives, sliced
- 4 spring onions
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of diced peppers (I used all colors)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons Sour cream and salsa to garnish
- Cook the ground beef, garlic and onion in skillet over med-high heat. Add the taco seasoning (and water if you use a premade mix).
- Mix in the chili and combine everything until sauce is a little thick.
- Warm the tostada bowls in a preheated 350ºF oven for 2 minutes. Place the bowls on serving dishes and place a good helping of mixed greens in each bowl. Top with ground beef mixture, then the diced tomatoes, peppers, spring onions and avocado.
- Sprinkle the bowls evenly with shredded cheese.
- Top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and salsa and sprinkle cheese on top. Add the sliced olives and enjoy with your favorite Margarita recipe.
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Share on Social Media
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Hi, I’m Carol!
I love to garden and cook (with a few DIY projects thrown in for fun).
I come from a long line of gardeners, and have always loved to experiment with food and recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer.
These Homemade Tostada Shells are the perfect crispy crunchy base for all your favorite Mexican toppings! They’re baked, not fried, and ready in only 15 minutes!
Want to make tostadas but can’t find any tostada shells at the grocery store? It’s a-okay because making them at home is super easy! All you need is a little oil, some corn tortillas and salt.
What is a tostada?
Tostadas are corn tortillas that have been baked or fried until crispy and topped with things like refried beans, cheese, chicken, ground beef, and many other toppings.
I like to think of it as a big round tortilla chip that’s topped with my favorite toppings. Or an open-faced crunchy taco. Or a crispy Mexican pizza. I mean, what’s not to love about that?!
Making your own tostada shells are a great option when you don’t have any at the house or you can’t find any in stores near you. Here’s how to make them.
How to make tostada shells
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray and place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly season them with salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the tortillas are crispy like a chip.
That’s it! Pretty much one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever see!
Tips and tricks for making tostada shells
These tostada shells stay super crispy when stored correctly. To store, place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag and leave them on the counter or in a cupboard at room temperature for up to 1 week. Don’t refrigerate them or they’ll get soggy.
Feel free to add different seasonings and spices to add some different flavors to your shells! Here are a few suggestions.
- Chili lime – chili powder, lime juice and salt
- Jalapeno – jalapeno powder, onion powder, salt
- Cheesy – grated Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt
If you don’t have cooking spray, you can use any cooking oil you have. Just lightly brush it on with a pastry brush or a paper towel.
While tostada shells are delicious on their own, they’re even better when they’re topped with tasty foods! Here are a few of my favorite toppings that turn tostadas into a filling weeknight meal.
How about another all natural and simple recipe today? Sounds good to me. Have you ever tried to find natural tostada shells in the grocery store? Where I live they all have lard, MSG, or other junk I don’t want in our food. I have figured out how to make tostada shells from corn tortillas.
It is really easy to make your own tostada shells and takes only about 10 minutes. It also saves money over buying the tostada shells. Tostada shells are usually $3 or $4. One package of corn tortillas is usually only a dollar or 2. Perfect! I love it when I can make something more natural and healthy for my family and save money at the same time. It is also great that it is quick and easy. 🙂
Let me show you how to make tostada shells.
You will need corn tortillas, a baking sheet, and canola oil (or other oil) spray.
I can usually fit 6 tortillas on one baking sheet. A rimmed baking sheet is best so the tortillas don’t go sliding off. These (affiliate link) are the rimmed baking sheets that get the best ratings with Cook’s Illustrated in their tests.
Place the tortillas on the baking sheet. Lightly spray them on both sides and place them in a 450-degree oven.
I’ve got all the directions in the printable recipe, but you will cook them for 5 minutes and then flip them and cook them a little bit more. When you are done, they are perfectly crisp and so delicious. They go great with our family favorite Slow Cooker Tostadas. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
They are best served warm.
Wasn’t that simple? Love it?
Just login below to get your free printable recipe.
Had you ever figured out how to make tostada shells? So easy! Do you have any other super simple recipes for making something that can be store-bought? Do tell. I’d love to hear.
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook! I share more recipes and ideas every single day. Yay!
Learn how to make your own tostada shells in the oven in less than 15 minutes! These crunchy baked tostadas work with all your favorite toppings including chicken, steak, shrimp, ceviche, beans, and even dips. Jump to Recipe
These Homemade Tostada Shells are incredibly easy to make, super crispy, and make the perfect vessels for your favorite Mexican dishes. Once you learn how easy it is to make your own tostada shells at home, you’ll never feel the need to grab them at the store again! We love serving them with Ceviche or Chicken.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt a craving for tostadas, prepared some kind of delicious topping, and then realized I needed to run to the store to grab the shells. So annoying! One day, it finally clicked that, hellooo, I could just make my own. This epiphany was a complete game changer in my kitchen.
Because corn tortillas can last in the fridge for up to two months, I can simply grab them whenever I’m in the mood for tostadas and make a batch of shells myself. No more unnecessary grocery store runs and they bake in under 15 minutes. Now, I can whip up delicious tostadas to accompany my dishes all summer long.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it’s insanely versatile. I’ve enjoyed these shells alongside everything from ceviche and salsa to carne asada and sauteed beans. Whether you’re cooking dinner for the family or hosting a backyard barbecue, this easy and delicious recipe is an absolute must to keep in your repertoire.
What is a Tostada?
Tostadas are a traditional part of Mexican cuisine. They consist of corn tortillas that have been cooked, most often by frying or baking, until they become crispy. Once they get nice and crispy, tostadas are topped with foods like refried beans, salsa, ceviche, guacamole, meat, and cheese. It’s basically like an open-faced taco with as many or as little fixings as you prefer, so the options for toppings are endless.
What You’ll Need
This recipe is so incredibly simple, it might just blow your mind. The only 3 ingredients you will need include:
- Corn tortillas: A classic component of Mexican cuisine, these babies are going to get beautifully golden and crisped up to perfection.
- Cooking spray: Feel free to use any kind of cooking spray that you have! I typically prefer to use olive oil spray or avocado spray.
- Salt: This adds just the right amount of flavor to make these shells the perfect base for any toppings you like.
Three Ways to Make Tostadas
In this recipe, we use the oven to bake our Homemade Tostada Shells. While this is my personal favorite way to make the shells, there are actually three different ways you can make tostadas: in the oven, in the microwave, and fried in a pan or deep fryer. I’ve found that baking the shells yields more appetizing results than the microwave and much healthier results than frying them, so it’s the perfect balance.
So, how do each of these cooking methods differ? Let’s break it down-
- Baked: This method yields results that are crispy, easy, and less unhealthy than the fried version. It involves simply spraying both sides of the corn tortillas with cooking spray, then baking them in the oven in a single layer, flipping halfway through to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Microwaved: This is the quickest cooking method, so it can be beneficial if you’re pressed for time and only cooking for one. Cooking tostadas in the microwave involves placing a corn tortilla between two paper towels, then cooking for a minute, flipping it over, and cooking for another 30 seconds. You’re essentially using the paper towels to soak up the moisture in the tortilla, so you continue to cook and flip it every 30 seconds until it becomes a crispy tostada.
- Fried: I’m not going to lie, fried tostada shells are darn tasty. That being said, they’re definitely not heart-healthy and should only be enjoyed every now and again. This method involves either frying the corn tortillas in a pan filled with oil for 3 minutes on each side or in a deep fryer for about 2 minutes, then placing them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
What to Serve With Tostada Shells
The options for foods to serve with this simple dish are endless! I like to get creative and try out new dishes to serve alongside my shells all the time. For a little inspiration as you get started, here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with these shells:
How to Store This Dish
Storing this dish in the fridge would eliminate that crunch we love so much, so I recommend storing your baked shells in an airtight bag or container in the pantry instead. They should keep like this for up to 3 days. Best of all, they will stay nice and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this vibrant dish:
What is the best way to cook tostadas?
Let me preface this by saying that this is completely subjective. In my personal opinion, baking the shells in the oven is the way to go. This cooking method strikes a fantastic balance between ease, crispiness, and health. It’s also great for making larger batches of shells!
How do you eat tostadas?
However, you want! I like to serve these alongside some type of dish that can be enjoyed on top of the tostada shells, like ceviche, salsa, meat, or cooked beans. It makes the perfect vessel for your favorite Mexican dishes.
Can I freeze tostada shells?
I really don’t recommend freezing them, however I totally understand not wanting to waste leftovers. If you have any plain leftover shells that haven’t had any toppings added to them, you can freeze them in a plastic bag for up to 3 months and defrost them in the oven when you’re ready to eat them. If you do this, be prepared for the texture not to be the same.
Recently when I wanted to make a Taco Bell Crunchywrap Supreme and couldn’t find Tostada Shells in any super markets near by, that’s when I decided to bake my own homemade corn tostada shells.
To make these amazing crunchy tostada shells you just need to have these 2 basic ingredients at hand, Corn Tortillas and oil. If you do not have corn tortillas at hand check out our recipe on how to make corn tortillas at home.
These tostada shells are quite versatile and can be used in many Mexican recipes. These Homemade Tostada Shells make a perfect crispy crunchy base to enjoy all your favorite Mexican toppings! The best part about them is that, they’re baked, not fried, and can be prepared so quickly in only 15 minutes!
Follow this amazing and easy recipe with step by step photos to prepare Tostada Shells Recipe – How to Make Tostada Shells at home.
WHAT IS A TOSTADA?
Tostadas are basically corn Tortillas which are baked or fried till they turn crisp and are topped with various Mexican toppings. These are nothing but big Nachos in a circular shape.
This recipe will help you make your own Tostadas in minutes at home. It’s one of the easiest Mexican recipes.
You can even store these Tostadas for a week in an airtight container at room temperature. Refrigerating them, will make them soggy.
Ingredients for making Tostada Shells at Home
5 Corn Tortillas
2 tbsp of Vegetable oil
How to Make Baked Tostada Shells
1. Pre heat the Oven at 400 F
2. Cut the Corn Tortillas into Smaller circles to form smaller tostadas
3. Drizzle some oil on the baking pan
4. Place the corn Tostadas on the baking Pan
5. Apply Oil on the corn Tostadas using an oil brush
6. Bake the Tostada shells in the Oven for 4 to 5 minutes
7. Flip the Tostadas and bake them again for another 5 to 7 minutes
How to Make Fried Tostada Shells
1. Heat half a cup of oil in a frying pan on medium heat
2. Place the corn Tostadas in the frying pan one by one
3. Once it turns golden brown, flip the Tostadas and fry it on the other side till golden brown
Enjoy your homemade Tostadas with your favourite Mexican toppings like Guacamole or Tomato Salsa.
Hope you’ll have liked this step by step recipe for preparing Tostada Shells Recipe – How to Make Tostada Shells at home. If you’ll have tried this easy Tostada Shells Recipe – How to Make Tostada Shells at home and you’ll love it don’t forget to leave a rating for this recipe, as this will help other food lovers to also enjoy this amazing appetizer.
We've got you covered for dinner every week of the year with these easy and cheap chicken, ground beef, and tilapia recipes.
Quick and easy seafood tostadas.. Tostadas are meant to be messy! Pile them with your favorite toppings and dig in. These are made with a crispy fried corn tortilla Strike that.
Hello & welcome to the Views Kitchen! In today's recipe, I'll be showing you how to make Tostadas w/ a seasoned chickenish protein. From authentic Mexican tostadas with shredded chicken or beef to inspired takes featuring bacon, eggs, steak and more, these recipes from Food Network make it easy to serve up crispy tortillas (loaded with all These quick-and-easy tostadas boast big flavor despite their simple preparation.
Hey everyone, hope you are having an amazing day today. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, quick and easy seafood tostadas.. It is one of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I’m gonna make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Tostadas are meant to be messy! Pile them with your favorite toppings and dig in. These are made with a crispy fried corn tortilla Strike that.
Quick and easy seafood tostadas. is one of the most favored of recent trending foods in the world. It’s simple, it’s quick, it tastes yummy. It’s enjoyed by millions every day. Quick and easy seafood tostadas. is something which I have loved my entire life. They are nice and they look fantastic.
To begin with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can cook quick and easy seafood tostadas. using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
The ingredients needed to make Quick and easy seafood tostadas.:
These quick-and-easy tostadas boast big flavor despite their simple preparation. If you're looking to take your cooking skills to the next level, you'll love this recipe. You pressure-cook your own octopus, pickle your own chile peppers and fry your own. "Try this quick and easy entrée for a fun, different Southwest meal idea," suggesets Karen Gulkin of Greeley, Colorado. These shrimp tostadas are the perfect and easy, dish of the summer.
Steps to make Quick and easy seafood tostadas.:
- Preheat oven to 250..
- Place tostada shells on cookie sheets in a single layer. Warm till desired crispness. Approx 5-10 minutes..
- In a medium sized mixing bowl place all seafood mix ingredients and toss till well incorporated..
- Gently scoop seafood mix on tostada shells. Top with Mexican cheese or hot sauce and enjoy with your clann!.
- Don't forget to post your pics too..
They can be made in a few minutes or even prepared overnight to enjoy the next day. The toppings below are more traditional options but feel free to remove or add more to your taste! This easy recipe for baked tostada shells produces a crispy end product that is lower in calories and a healthier version of this Mexican treat. Tostada is the name given to various dishes in Mexico and other parts of Latin America which include a toasted tortilla as the main base of their preparation. Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas – a fun and easy way to get Mexican food on weeknights, in minutes!
So that’s going to wrap it up with this special food quick and easy seafood tostadas. recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I’m sure you can make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!
Related posts of “Recipe of Any-night-of-the-week Quick and easy seafood tostadas.”
Recipe of Perfect Copy Cat Outback Steakhouse Wallaby Darned
Copy Cat Outback Steakhouse Wallaby Darned. Hello everybody, I hope you are having an incredible day today. Today, we’re going to make a distinctive dish, copy cat outback steakhouse wallaby darned. One of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious. Copy Cat Outback Steakhouse.
Recipe of Ultimate Gnocchi
Gnocchi. Gnocchi are a varied family of dumpling in Italian cuisine. They are made of small lumps of dough composed of semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs. Gnocchi With Truffle Cream Sauce Recipe : Robust Recipes. They are made of cooked mashed potatoes, flour and eggs. Cook the gnocchi as described above, remove.
Steps to Make Homemade Hot Dog
Hot Dog. Hello everybody, it is me, Dave, welcome to my recipe page. Today, I will show you a way to prepare a distinctive dish, hot dog. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious. Hot Dog is one of the most favored.
Simple Way to Make Any-night-of-the-week Nigeria Akara
Nigeria Akara. Hey everyone, it’s Louise, welcome to our recipe page. Today, we’re going to prepare a distinctive dish, nigeria akara. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious. Nigeria Akara is one of the most well liked.
Although the tostadas’ function doesn’t end there because they are also used to cover them with mountains of ingredients like the tostadas with sausage and potato , the crab tostadas , the chicken tostadas , etc.
– The tostada is quite similar to a tortilla chip. The difference is that the tortilla chip is cut into triangles and the tostada consists of the whole tortilla.
About the Recipe
- You will like this recipe because it is easy to make and cheap.
- Preferably use old tortillas in this recipe because they will brown better and the tostadas acquire a better consistency.
- In this recipe any type of vegetable oil can be used.
- Preparation time 12 minutes .
- We give the recipe for 6 tostadas.
- Preheat the oven to 355º F.
- Moisten a pastry brush with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and varnish the superior part of a baking sheet, until it has a small oil layer that covers the baking sheet.
|If you have cooking spray it can also be used to spray the baking sheet. In this way the pastry brush doesn’t have to be used.|
- Put on the baking sheet that was varnished 6 maize tortillas, without overlaps.
- Sprinkle over the tortillas that were put on the baking sheet, 1/4 tablespoon of salt.
- Put in the oven the baking sheet and leave the tortillas baking for about 10 minutes, until they are moderately browned and the ends start to bend.
Crispy, Golden and
S uggestion: Whenever you put refried beans on the center of the table also put tostadas – people love to put beans on the tostadas.