This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Chicken Fried Rice is one of the best weeknight dinners around! It’s a homemade version of my favorite take-out classic. We all had that ham fried rice growing up but move over ham because the chicken variation is 100 times better!
The whole family will love this protein packed, hearty chicken and brown rice combo.
The BEST Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
This chicken fried rice will easily become one of your go-to dinners! It’s easy, it calls for basic ingredients, it’s hearty and filling and it’s perfectly flavorful.
Plus it’s quick to make and clean up is a breeze. It also makes perfectly delicious leftovers if you are lucky enough to have any left, or make it ahead for meal prep for the next couple of days.
It’s also an easy recipe to customize and swap out with another protein and you could even add in other vegetables.
Watch the Chicken Fried Rice Video:
What Ingredients go into Chicken Fried Rice?
- Brown rice – leftover rice from the day before works best. White rice will work great here too.
- Chicken breasts – I like to dice the chicken into very small pieces about 1/2 – 3/4-inch, it makes it the perfect size for this fried rice.
- Toasted sesame oil – this oil is very strong and a little goes a long way. This ingredient adds lots of flavor to this dish.
- Vegetable oil (or canola oil) – this is used for sautéing (along with the sesame oil so you won’t use to much of that and sesame oil on it’s own has a low smoke point).
- Frozen peas and carrots blend – I like to use the frozen vegetable here to save time, but fresh will work too you’ll just have to longer so they’ll become tender enough.
- Green onions – feel free to add more green onions to taste.
- Garlic – only use fresh garlic here for best flavor.
- Eggs – you can add 3 eggs here to stretch the recipe a bit. If it’s easier for you, you can stir in a bowl with a fork first then add to the skillet.
- Low-sodium soy sauce – if you have regular sodium soy sauce that will work too, just start with 2 Tbsp and add more if needed.
How to Make Chicken Fried Rice
- In a large non-stick wok or skillet, heat 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1 1/2 tsp of the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces, season lightly with salt and pepper and saute until cooked through, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate or a piece of foil and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, add remaining 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1 1/2 tsp canola oil.
- Add peas and carrots blend and green onions and saute 1 minute, then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Push veggies to edges of pan.
- Add eggs in center and cook and scramble until just set.
- Return chicken to skillet along with rice.
- Add in soy sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together and serve warm with Sriracha to taste if desired.
How is this Healthier than Traditional Fried Rice?
This is healthier than the traditional fried rice since uses brown rice and chicken in place of the traditional white rice and ham. Plus it uses low sodium soy sauce instead of the higher salt content traditional soy sauce.
Can I Make it with Cauliflower Rice?
I actually have a delicious Cauliflower Chicken Fried “Rice” recipe HERE for a lower carb option.
Can I Substitute Chicken Thighs?
Boneless skinless chicken thighs will work great here too, you’ll just need to add a couple of extra minutes cook time to the chicken. As always test the center temperature to 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer to test for doneness.
Can I Use Shrimp or Ham instead of Chicken?
Yes. Shrimp or ham can be used here as well. If using shrimp use small shrimp and you’ll only need to cook about 1 minute per side, and if using ham use 1 1/2 cups and i will only needed to be heated through since it’s pre-cooked.
How Much Dry Rice to Equal Prepared Rice?
You’ll want to start with about 1 1/4 cups dry brown rice to equal 3 cups cooked rice. But if you’re like me you’ll just make extra to have for another meal.
When it comes to takeout food (or any food for that matter) Chicken fried rice is at the top of my list. But why buy takeout when you can make this classic dish at home?
It’s a lot more affordable and let’s face it – homemade is almost always healthier.
This is one of those classic recipes you’ll find yourself coming back to over and over again. Best of all, you can get this on the table in 30 minutes or less.
For us, it’s one of the few recipes that the whole family can agree on. It’s satisfying, flavorful, and makes great leftovers. Although that rarely happens around our house.
The Secret to Chicken Fried Rice
The secret when it comes to fried rice is to make sure your rice is cold when you cook it. Making it the night before is best so that it can cool completely in the refrigerator.
If you’re in a hurry, you can stick it in the freezer until cooled. But if possible, cook it the night before and refrigerate.
Another option though, if you just don’t feel like cooking rice, is to use ready-made rice in a box. Works like a charm.
For some extra flavor, sprinkle a little soy sauce (you can also use teriyaki sauce or sesame sauce) on the chicken when you cook it. You can also marinate the chicken before cooking.
A lot of people also like to add some sesame oil to the rice at the end. Gives it an Asian flavor that won’t disappoint. You can also add a little red pepper or chili paste to give it some kick.
You can also swap out the chicken with shrimp, ham, or pork. Or leave out altogether if you’re looking for a vegetarian option.
Can You Freeze Chicken Fried Rice?
If you’re doing some meal planning, this recipe can easily be made ahead of time and frozen in Ziploc bags. Lasts up to 3 months in the freezer.
When you’re ready to make it, simply pull it out of the freezer, thaw, and throw into the skillet for 5-10 minutes!
Makes for a quick and easy dinner any day of the week.
One final tip: Have everything chopped and measured before you start cooking. Stir fry cooking goes fast and leaves very little time in between. Prepping all of your ingredients before hand makes this recipe a lot easier.
This super easy to make chicken fried rice recipe is loaded up with vegetables, chicken, eggs, and rice tossed in a delicious sauce.
I absolutely love Chinese food and eat it almost once a week. Whether it’s a stir-fry, general Tso’s chicken, or Fish or Bao, I’m obsessed and love the techniques that are you used to make everything.
Chicken Fried Rice
This is one of the easiest and quickest to make recipes out there. In less than 30 minutes you can have delicious fried rice packed with vegetables, protein, and most important flavor. Chinese food features some of the oldest cooking techniques on the planet.
Fried rice was created during the last 6 th and early 7 th centuries during the Sui Dynasty and featured most of the same ingredients we use now. Based on where you are located, chicken fried rice can have variations of flavors and ingredients with the main similarity being the short cooking method used to make it.
This is an awesome recipe to whip up, especially if you tons of leftover rice from a previous meal.
Fried Rice Ingredients
While the proteins can change in this recipe, but the ingredients to make just fried rice stay the same. Here are the basic ingredients:
- Cooked Jasmine Rice
- Red Onions
- Cooking Oil
- Oyster Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Green Onions
Optional Ingredients you can add:
What’s the Best Rice to Use?
You should always use a medium to long grain rice when making a fried rice recipe. The most common one to use would be jasmine rice. It absolutely needs to be cooked ahead of time before making this recipe or to keep as traditional as possible, use day-old leftover rice. Some other options you could use are:
- Medium Grain White
- Long Grain White
How to Make It From Scratch
Follow these easy steps to make this delicious chicken fried rice recipe.
Cook the rice ahead of time, fluff with a fork and set aside.
Add the thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts to a large hot wok on high heat with smoking cooking oil until cooked throughout.
Pour in sherry, soy, and honey to the chicken once it’s cooked and quickly stir-fry for 1 minute before setting the chicken aside.
Place the wok back on the burner over high heat and cook the vegetables over high heat for 2-3 minutes while stir-frying.
Add in the whisked eggs to the vegetables in the wok and stir-fry until the eggs are cooked through and resemble scrambled eggs.
Put back in the cooked chicken and rice and stir for 2-3 minutes while breaking up any chunks of rice.
Pour in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, peas, sliced green onions, salt and pepper, and mix until completely combined until the rice is brown. Serve.
Spicy Chicken Fried Rice
There are quite a few ways to spice up this recipe to give it a little bit of heat. I am not a huge spice fan, so I usually don’t do any of these.
- Serve it with sriracha sauce.
- Add some sambal (chili garlic sauce) to the top
- Cook in some spicy peppers with the vegetables
- Finish with pepper flakes
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 hour ahead of time, simply keep warm in the wok, covered over low heat before serving.
How to Reheat: Place your desired amount in a hot wok over high heat with a small amount of oil until smoking and stir-fry the fried rice for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. You can also heat in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave until hot.
How to Store: Place covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze covered for up to 3 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
It’s very important that your oil is smoking in your wok before cooking.
Once the oil begins to smoke you have to add in your food or else it can catch fire.
Everything cooks extremely quickly, including the chicken.
When the vegetables are done cooking they should be al-dente, slightly crunchy.
You can use canola, peanut, sunflower or sesame oil for this recipe.
More Quick Weeknight Meals
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, and Pinterest and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
This dish comes together in a matter of minutes — if you cook it right. Here’s how.
Fried rice is pretty much a miracle meal. It leans on leftovers and pantry staples and comes together in one skillet in a matter of minutes. Plus, it’s versatile: you can pack it with whatever veggies you have lying around in the fridge. Add in any protein. Use white or brown rice. Did we mention it’s easy on the wallet too? But if you’re already here, we’re guessing you know the merits of fried rice. So let’s jump right into how you make it.
1: Make a Savory Sauce
Fried rice comes together quickly, so make sure you have all your ingredients prepped and measured before cooking. That includes the sauce that you’ll stir in at the end to season the fried rice (because it’s not traditional to season the fried rice with salt and pepper). A 2:1 ratio of soy sauce to toasted sesame oil is a simple place to start. You can stir in additional ingredients like finely chopped garlic, hoisin sauce, honey or fish sauce. Have fun playing with the flavors if you’d like — you can customize your sauce based on whatever you have on hand. For example, this Sweet and Spicy Chicken and Cashew Fried Rice leans on sweet chili sauce, ginger, soy sauce and chili oil, while this Shrimp Fried Rice relies on simple soy sauce and sesame oil. If you’re adding meat or seafood to the stir fry, consider doubling up on the sauce and using it to marinate the protein for 30 minutes at room temperature. This will add more flavor, but isn’t necessary if you want to start cooking immediately.
Studio, frisches Gemüse (Chinakohl, Zuckererbsen und Möhren) im Wok anbraten
View Gallery 1 photo
Chicken fried rice is a comfortable and delicious dish of Chinese food. It’s been around for a really long time and is additionally common in East, Southeast, and South Asian cuisines. The dish started with a tendency to use extra fried rice that has drained out a few and may not be distinguished on its own but is yet absolutely delicious and satisfying.
This take on the favorite is simple to form and makes the culminate lunch or supper. It is frequently eaten by itself or as a backup to another dish. This chicken fried rice has moist and delicate chicken with flavorful peas and carrots and long rice cooked together. Make this special fried rice and your own with this favorite Chinese rice!
So many assortments of fried rice can be made. Simple Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice, one-skillet, prepared in 15 minutes, and you’ll never need takeout once more after tasting how great homemade is!! Way more flavor, not oily, and loads of delicious chicken!!
How to make Chicken Fried Rice
This chicken fried rice has moist and delicate chicken with flavorful peas and carrots and long rice cooked together. Make this special fried rice and your own with this favorite Chinese rice!
- 800 grams Rice (uncooked)
- 260 grams Chicken (boneless, strips)
- 1/2 cup Green onion (white part)
- 1/2 cup Green onion (green part)
- 1 cup Carrot and peas (mix)
- 1 cup Capsicum, (diced)
- 4 Garlic cloves, (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper (powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon White pepper
- 1 Chicken (cube/powder)
- 2 pinches Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- Salt (according to taste, if required)
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Sesame/veg/canola oil
- Take 2-3 cups of uncooked rice, boil them, and set aside
- In a medium bowl, add 2 tbsp milk and 2 pinches of turmeric, mix it well
- Add eggs and beat them well.
- In a non-stick pan heat 1-2 tbsp oil over medium heat and pour in egg mixture.
- As the egg begins to set, gently move the spatula across the bottom and side of the skillet and mix it.
- Cut egg into small pieces with the help of a spatula.
- Make sure do not overcook it, just take it out on a plate and cut it into shreds
- In a separate pan, Heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
- Add chopped garlic and fry for few seconds, do not burn.
- Add chicken boneless, fry chicken for 2-3 minutes or until it changes its color from pink to white, do not overcook or it will get harder.
- Add in carrot and peas, add white part of green onions, add bell pepper
- Now fry for 1 minute on medium-high flame.
- After stir-frying, add soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper, and white pepper.
- Mix them well.
- Dissolve chicken cube into the water from the chicken and veggies with the help of a spatula, make sure to dissolve properly.
- Now add the eggs prepared before.
- Add a green part of green onions and mix well.
- Now add boiled rice prepared before.
- In the end check salt, if required, and then add according to your taste.
- Hot chicken fried rice is ready to serve!
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 288 Calories from Fat 109 % Daily Value * Total Fat 12g 19 % Saturated Fat 1.8g 9 % Cholesterol 106mg 36 % Sodium 354mg 15 % Potassium 236mg 7 % Total Carbohydrate 25g 9 % Dietary Fiber 0.9g 4 % Sugars 1g Protein 19g 38 % Vitamin A 4 % Vitamin C 6 % Calcium 4 % Iron 7 %
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recipe Card powered by
Fried rice is one of the many interesting forms in which we enjoy rice. Even though we can’t really trace the origin of fried rice and who invented it, we can surely tell you that this invention has travelled the world and is loved by people everywhere. It is not just convenient to cook but is so full of flavours that you can’t have enough of it. The ingredients are pretty simple and come down to one point that you can add almost anything to these. Eggs, chicken, paneer, tofu, vegetables, anything can go in there and you will have something delicious to delve in. one of the key points to keep in mind while cooking fried rice is that you shouldn’t cook it all the way through in one go. When the cooked rice is added to the pan with veggies, it is cooked some more and over-cooking can make them mushy. So, to avoid that, cook the rice until 80% to get the right texture. What are you waiting for now? Grab all the ingredients and let’s get cooking!
Ingredients of Chicken Fried Rice
- 400 gm chicken boneless
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoon red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- black pepper as required
- 2 tablespoon refined oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoon onion
- 2 tablespoon capsicum (green pepper)
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt as required
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How to make Chicken Fried Rice
Step 1 Season the chicken and cook the rice
To cook this recipe, soak the rice in water for at least 20 minutes before starting. Wash and marinate the chicken in some salt and black pepper for 20 minutes. Now, add 2 cups of water in a pan and let it come to a boil. To this, add the rice and let them cook until 80% done. Drain the rice and keep aside.
Step 2 Saute the vegetables
Now that the chicken has been marinated, add some oil to a hot pan and add in the chicken. Cook it until it changes colour to a light golden. Take it out and keep aside. Now add 1 tbsp of oil into the pan again and stir fry the finely chopped garlic and add the onion. Cook this for 35 seconds and add in the rest of the vegetables and cook on high flame for 1-2 minutes.
Step 3 Add the sauces, chicken, rice and serve!
Now, to this, add black pepper and salt according to taste along with all your sauces and mix well. Add the rice and chicken and stir well without breaking the rice. Cover and let it cook for 30 seconds. Turn the flame off and drizzle the vinegar and cover again. Serve after 10 minutes!
Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect chicken fried rice recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to chicken fried rice recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about The Simple Ways to Be Healthy.
Everybody knows that in order to truly be healthy you need to eat a naturally healthy and balanced diet and get a proper amount of exercise. The sad thing is that, at the end of the day, we don’t always have enough time or energy required for a healthy lifestyle. At the conclusion of the day, most of us want to go home, not to the gym. We want a delicious, greasy burger, not an equally delightful salad (unless we’re vegetarians). The good news is that making healthy decisions doesn’t have to be a chore. With training you can get all of the nutrients and the physical exercise that you need. Here are some of the best methods to be healthy.
Take the stairs. Walk up the stairs to where you live or work as an alternative to using the elevator. Obviously this isn’t as plausible if you work on the 25th floor of a high rise, but if you work on the fourth, climbing the stairs is a great way to get some exercise in. Even if you do live or work on one of the top floors, you can still get off of the elevator first and climb up the stairs the rest of the way. So many people choose the elevator over hiking even a single flight of stairs. Even just a individual flight of stairs, when walked up or down a few times a day–can be a great improvement to your system.
There are a lot of things that contribute to your getting healthy. Intensive gym visits and directly defined diets are not always the solution. You can do small things every day to improve upon your health and lose weight. Being clever when you choose your food and routines is where it begins. A good amount of physical activity each day is also critical. Remember: being healthful isn’t just about reducing your weight. You need to help to make your body as strong as possible.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to chicken fried rice recipe. You can have chicken fried rice using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to cook chicken fried rice:
- You need of Onions.
- You need of Mushrooms.
- Take of Soy sauce.
- Get of Sugar.
- Get of Sweet ginger garlic (simply asia).
- Prepare of Eggs (1/2 per cup of rice).
- Use of Rice.
- Take of Chicken (cubed).
- Take of Vegetable oil.
- Get of Snow peas.
- Use of stock Celery.
- Take of White wine (can use white wine vinegar).
- You need of Bell peppers (or bananna peppers).
Steps to make chicken fried rice:
- Rinse the rice in cold water, rub the rice between your hands and drain. Put the rice into a bowl and fill with water until the rice is barely covered, add sugar and allow it to soak..
- Cut chicken and soak in wine..
- Cut onion, bell pepper, celery and mix together with snow peas..
- Beat eggs and mix into the rice..
- add vegetable oil to pan. ( just enough to coat pan).
- Cook chicken in the white wine (saute). (this is optional) Just before you are done cooking the chicken turn on the hot water in your sink, after you remove the chicken from skillet and put it in a bowl rinse your plan in hot water..
- Add rice and the sweet ginger garlic seasoning and enough soy sauce (while mixing) to turn the rice a brown color. ( I do this by smell). ( keep in mind that frying the rice is like making scrambled eggs).
- Add the bell peppers, onions, celery, and snow peas. (saute).
- Add in your mushrooms and soy sauce the mushrooms will turn a light brown color (saute). Here I add the soy sauce according to smell..
- I usually put the chicken and rice together, but I put the bell peppers, onions , celery and snow peas in a bowl ( separate from everything else) and the mushrooms in a separate bowl. after cooking each item I will also rinse the pan in hot water and recoat the pan with new oil, and always remember a half a cup of dry rice is 1 serving..
If you find this chicken fried rice recipe helpful please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.
The House Special – a fully loaded, fabulous Chicken Fried Rice!! With seasoned chicken, vegetables, fluffy egg and pops of salty bacon, this fried rice recipe is one that’s worthy of serving as a meal instead of as a fried rice side dish.
Don’t be fooled by recipes claiming to be “better than take out” that call for nothing more than soy sauce for flavour. It takes more than that for an authentic chicken fried rice – just ask your friendly local Chinese restaurant!!
Chicken Fried Rice
After Monday’s simple yet-myth-busting How To Cook Rice post, I thought I’d follow up with a quick ‘n easy recipe today. Using rice of course. My “House Special” chicken fried rice!! 😂
I know going with fried rice is an obvious option, and not the first I’ve shared at that. But I wanted to share a Chicken Fried Rice recipe which I haven’t done before specifically because while it’s very easy to say to people “oh, just cook up some chook before you toss in everything else!” in the notes of my everyday Fried Rice recipe, it’s just cleaner to have a recipe dedicated to Chicken Fried Rice.
And actually, the steps are a little different. 🙂
So that’s what I’m sharing today!
What you need
Here’s what you need for Chicken Fried Rice.
For the Fried Rice Sauce:
Soy sauce – either light or all purposes is fine here. DO NOT use dark soy sauce, it’s too intense. Maggie seasoning would also work but reduce the quantity a bit (it’s saltier!).
Oyster sauce can be substituted with either fish sauce + hoisin sauce (best!) or just hoisin sauce (though you will get a slight Chinese Five Spice Flavour which is lovely!)
Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing Wine) (or Mirin or dry sherry) is the “secret ingredient” in fried rice. I really encourage you to get your hands on it if you can (or Mirin or dry sherry) because it really makes all the difference, adding complexity and depth to the sauce to make it stack up to Chinese restaurant fried rice! No alcoholic sub – see recipe notes, use chicken or vegetable stock powder / granulated bouillon.
And for the Add-Ins:
Day old cooked rice that’s been refrigerated – because the rice dries out and becomes crumbly which is what you need so your fried rice isn’t clumpy and mushy
Bacon – because it adds a load of flavour into fried rice and is the next best option to Chinese sausage (bit pricey in non Asian stores) or Chinese BBQ Pork (never have leftovers!) which is what restaurants typically use. Ham is also ideal!
Diced veg – go with what you want here, anything that’s dice-able and stir-fry-able. I typically use diced carrot, frozen corn and frozen peas (easy, quick, classic Chinese).
Egg – because we all love the fluffy egg bits in fried rice!
Green onion – for a bit of freshness and colour;
Chicken – oh yes, because this is a Chicken Fried Rice after all! 😂 (Feel free to sub with other proteins)
Onion and garlic – essential flavour base.
How to make it
As with all stir fries, once you start cooking, Chicken Fried Rice comes together very quickly so have everything chopped and ready to throw into the wok – or skillet!
The only thing worth noting is that I cook the egg first, then take it out and add it back in later. In my classic side-dish Fried Rice recipe, I cook the egg without taking it out – which you can get away with doing because there’s less “stuff” in the fried rice so it’s easy enough to handle.
With Chicken Fried Rice, there’s more “stuff” in it and if you try to cook it all up in one go, it gets a little much.
What to serve with Chicken Fried Rice
I happily serve this as a meal because while one ordinarily assumes fried rice is carb heavy, in actual fact this recipe only calls for 2 cups of cooked rice compared to almost 4 cups of other “stuff” (chicken, veg, bacon).
It sounds out of whack, but you can see from the photos that it looks just as it should – like a fully loaded Chicken Fried Rice!
And it is of course suitable for serving as a side with anything Chinese or Asian for that matter, but I’d avoid things with very strong kapow flavours, like Thai Red Curry or Kung Pao Chicken because this Fried Rice has enough flavour in itself.
Milder stir fries on the other hand like Beef and Broccoli, Cashew Chicken, Prawn Stir Fry and Chop Suey Chicken Stir Fry would be fabulous.
Also, some more ideas for how to serve Chicken Fried Rice:
MAKE A MEAL OUT OF STARTERS
Make a meal out of dishes ordinarily served as starters by adding a side of Fried Rice. Things such Hot and Sour Soup, Chinese Corn Soup, Spring Rolls, Chinese Lettuce Wraps (San Choy Bau) or Egg Foo Young.
Watch how to make it