The Excel 2010 file format, .xlsx, is capable of storing multiple sheets within the workbook that you have created. Using multiple sheets in one workbook is the ideal solution when you have a lot of different spreadsheets that are all related to the same topic and you want to access all of that data without needing to open a bunch of different files.
CSV files, on the other hand, are essentially text files where the cells, columns and rows are separated by a delimiter, such as a comma. These are very popular file types because of their diversity and compatibility with a number of different files. Excel 2010 is compatible with CSV files, and will open them the same way that it would open an .xlsx file. However, CSV files only have one sheet and, if you attempt to save a CSV file in Excel, it will save as a CSV file unless you manually adjust the file type. So you can use Excel 2010 to convert your CSV file or, if you do not have Excel 2010, you can use an online converter to turn the file into the .xlsx file type.
How to Convert a CSV File to XLSX With Excel 2010
Excel 2010 is a very versatile program, and can open almost any type of file format that produces spreadsheet-like information. Additionally, once the file is open in Excel, it is also rather simple to convert the file to any other type of file that Excel can create. However, Excel does not choose a default file format, but rather will attempt to keep the file in the same format that it started with. In some cases with a CSV file that will not be possible. For instance, if you open a CSV file in Excel 2010 but add a second sheet to it, you will get a warning when saving the file as a CSV that the file format is not compatible with multiple worksheets, and you can choose whether you only want to save the active sheet as a CSV or if you want to choose a different file format.
You can choose to convert your CSV file to an Excel 2010 file by clicking the File tab at the top of the window, then clicking the Save As option.
Click the drop-down menu to the right of Save as type, then choose the Excel Workbook option at the top of the list. Type a name for your new file into the File name field, then click the Save button.
You will now have an Excel 2010 .xlsx file that consists of the CSV file data that you originally opened.
How to Convert a CSV File to XLSX Without Excel 2010
The ideal solution for converting a CSV file to the Excel format is obviously to have Excel 2010. But if you do not have the program, it is still possible to create an .xlsx file from your CSV file.
Begin by navigating to the file conversion site at www.zamzar.com.
Click the Browse button under Step 1, then double-click the CSV file that you want to convert.
Click the drop-down menu under Step 2, then choose the .xlsx option.
Type your email address into the field under Step 3, then click the Convert button under Step 4. After a few minutes you will receive an email from Zamzar with instructions as yto how you can download your converted file.
Matthew Burleigh has been writing tech tutorials since 2008. His writing has appeared on dozens of different websites and been read over 50 million times.
After receiving his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computer Science he spent several years working in IT management for small businesses. However, he now works full time writing content online and creating websites.
His main writing topics include iPhones, Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Android, and Photoshop, but he has also written about many other tech topics as well.
Image by http://bit.ly/2gEUJLv
Have you ever encountered a situation whereby you want to convert some text files either from a website or a note pad into an Excel file? I remember the first time I encountered that and I felt it is quite impossible. Well, it isn’t. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how to accomplish that with the different versions of office available.
It is worthy of note that saving your text file as an Excel spreadsheet allows you to work with your data more easily. You will encounter less error working with Excel than with a text file. Let us look at how you can carry out this conversion.
A text file can be converted into a spreadsheet file using the following versions of Excel:
How To Convert From Text To Excel
Using Microsoft Excel 2003
Follow these steps to effectively convert your text file into an Excel file using this version of Excel.
- The first step is to open your Microsoft Excel.
- Click on data, then import external data and then import data.
- Open the file you created in Notepad. A wizard will display.
- From the wizard, select Delimited and click Next button.
- Uncheck the tab that appears and select space instead. Click next after that.
- Click Finish and Ok.
- On your Excel toolbar, select file, then Save As.
- Type the new name for your file in the dialog box that pops up.
- It will ask you to save as what. Choose Excel Workbook (xlsx), Excel 97-2003 Workbook (.xls), or CSV (Comma Delimited) (.csv) and click Save.
Using Microsoft Excel 2007
Here are the steps.
- Open your Microsoft Excel 2007.
- Select that data tab.
- Click from text.
- Proceed to browse for the text file and select it when you see it.
- Click on the import button. The Text Import Wizard will begin after that.
- From the wizard, select Delimited and click Next button.
- Uncheck the tab that appears and select comma. Click next after that.
- Click the finish button once you are done.
- Choose to save the information in either an existing worksheet or a new worksheet.
- On your Excel toolbar, select file, Save As and type the name in the dialog box that pops up.
- Save as type should be Excel Workbook (xlsx).
Using Microsoft Excel 2010
Here are the steps for this version of Excel.
- Open your Microsoft Excel.
- Find the data tab and click on it.
- Check out the External Data group and click From Text.
- Double-click the text file that you want to import in the Import Text File dialogue box.
- After that, click on import. The text import wizard will launch after that.
- Select Delimited and click Next.
- Uncheck the tab that appears and select comma instead. Click next after that.
- Click the Finish button and select to save the information in either an existing worksheet or a new worksheet.
- Once you are done with that, go to your Excel toolbar, select File > Save As and type the name of the file in the dialog box that pops up.
- Under Save As Type, choose Excel Workbook (xlsx).
These steps will allow you to effectively convert text files to Excel files. Once this conversion is done, you can be able to work with your data easily.
Want to get in touch with us? Hit us up on our social media channels!
Online Converter: Convert large XML file (up to 100 GB) to Excel format (XLSX, XLS)
You may help others to find this website – Share your experience!
How XML to Excel Converter works?
Why to convert XML to Excel?
To open complex structured XML file in Excel, it is much easier to convert this XML file into Excel table format and open it directly in Microsoft Office Excel.
Please note: If you want to convert an Excel XML file (Microsoft Office XML format) into Excel XLSX format – use our Excel XML to Excel XLSX Online Converter.
XML Data Parsing
- Every XML tag represents the separate table column
- Every XML attribute represents the separate table column
- Data is combined based on the upper-level XML tags
Saving to Excel file
XML File Format
Start and End Tags
XML Root Element
Special Characters Escaping
- < represents “<"
- > represents “>”
- & represents “&”
- ' represents “‘”
- " represents ‘”‘
File Format Information
at File.org at FILExt.com
Excel File Format
Excel Limits (XLSX – Excel 2007+)
- Max number of rows: 1,048,576 rows
- Max number of columns: 16,384 columns (last column is “XFD”)
- Column width: 255 characters
- Max number of characters in a cell: 32,767 characters
- Max number of Hyperlinks in a worksheet: 66,530 hyperlinks
Excel Limits (XLS – Excel 97-2007)
- Max number of rows: 65,536 rows
- Max number of columns: 256 columns (last column is “IV”)
File Format Information
at File.org at File.org at FILExt.com at FILExt.com
Use-Cases of XML to Excel Converter
How XML to CSV Converter is used to convert large XML files into CSV format with additional data processing (data fieltering and fields mapping).
Reverse Conversion from Excel to XML format
There is a possibility to convert data back from Excel to XML format.
This can be done by using our Generic Excel to XML Converter or by using the Custom Converter.
PDFelement is one of the best programs which are available for xml to excel conversion with quality. To convert xml to excel there is no other program that works as well as this one. If the users want to know how to convert xml to excel then this is the best answer which they can find online. It is advised not to go for the online PDF readers as they can compromise the data.
Convert XML to Excel with PDFelement
The best part of the process which is associated with PDFelement is that will make sure that users get the output as they expect. The overall management of the process is very easy as the interface is graphical in nature. The program will also get the users the outcome faster as compared to every PDF related program found on the internet.
Step 1. Open an XML
Double-click the XML file to open it in a browser or right-click it to choose to open with Notepad.
Step 2. Print XML
Press the “Print” button in your browser, and in the new popup window, select PDFelement as the printer to proceed with the process.
Step 3. Convert to Excel
PDFelement will be opened automatically, and your file will be created in it. Then click the “Convert”>”To Excel” button to convert it. These are all the steps about how to convert an XML file to excel.
Why Choose PDFelement to Convert XML to Excel
To convert an XML file to Excel, PDFelement will get the best and the most advanced tools embedded. There are many tools that can be used to convert xml to excel online but they are not advised. The best part of the program is that it has literally hundreds of functions that can be used to get the PDF management done with ease. The xml to excel online also stores the data within the database which can be used to plagiarize the documents. This is not the case with PDFelement. How to convert xml file to excel cannot be answered better than this program. The disadvantages of online xml to excel converter are something which is covered by this program completely. To convert xml to an excel table the PDFelement is highly advised that is very easy to manage any size of PDF files.
PDFelement is a program that provides XFA based PDF Support. It is a format that is used to create PDF forms and the data entered into the PDF. The users regard PDFelement as one of the best programs of all time. It is all because of the fact that it can also be used to perform the most basic functions in PDF format. The program is very easy to use and also has a very high-quality converter that can be used for literally any format which the user wants. The graphics-based images which are added to the PDF are also manipulated with the program. It is actually the highly advanced feature that is added to the program making the related processes easy and straightforward. The PDFelement will also make it possible for the users to overcome the problems which are related to Enhanced OCR Experience.
- The program unlike many online convert xml to excel converters can perform many basic functions like opening, marking up, printing, and saving PDFs with ease.
- Apart from converting xml data to excel the graphical elements of the PDF can be added, deleted, removed, resized, and rotated as per user choice.
- The PDF security has been taken to the next level by this program so it can be used to apply passwords to the PDF documents with ease.
- The excel to xml converter free download option is also available just to make sure that the user checks the program before making the purchase.
- The data from the PDF forms can easily be extracted using this program. It makes sure that the CSV format is used to export the data.
Tips: Better Understanding of XML Format
XML stands for Extensible Markup Language which is based on an open format. It means that the format can be used by anyone to get the results. The initial release of the language was in 1996 i.e. about 22 years ago. It is highly standardized by the ISO and the IEEE also takes care of the problems which arise from time to time. The format of the file format is .xml and the media type can be easily recognized by text/xml format. The XML format is highly recommended to users that are looking for interactive formatting. The XML has been designed to make things simple and more reliable over the internet. The XML Schema is the ISO standard which is applied to the standard. The best part of the XML format is the way it handles the queries of the users. It is a complete language that is highly recommended for users to learn. The data serialization has never been as easy as it is with this language and it is highly used for the same purpose.
There are many constructors of the XML format which are related to the documentation of the XML. The characters which are related to the XML can be found in the XML document. The Unicode formatting of the program is highly regarded among the developers of any language. The best part of the XML is that it can be embedded with other languages to get the work done with and develop the web pages. The tagging of the XML is something that should be taken care of before using the language. There are many tutorials that can be found and worked with to learn the language.
One way to present XML information to a user is by converting it to a file format the user actually knows. Edmond Woychowsky walks you through his process, including all the necessary sample code, to convert an XML file to an Excel spreadsheet.
This article is also available as a TechRepublic download, which includes all of the sample code a more manageable text file format.
George Bernard Shaw once described the British and the Americans as two people separated by a common language. Interestingly the same can also be said of application developers and the people that use applications. Worse is that not only does one group not understand the other, but that both groups are usually blissfully unaware that the other group has no idea of what the other is trying to say. If you don’t believe me try explaining what you do during an average day to some non-technical friend or relative and watch their eyes glaze-over as they try to follow your description.
As developers we have a tendency to deal with information that is in no way user-friendly without really thinking about how our relatives would handle it. For example, I’d rather not think of how my eldest half-brother would deal with the XML document shown in Listing A. If I was given the assignment of giving him information that maybe he might have to edit I’d make sure that it would be in a format that didn’t require ButterflyXML or XMLSpy. Face it, as developers we have toys that non-developers don’t have, what’s needed is some kind of common ground, say something that we’d both have installed on our respective machines.
Listing A — An XML document for my half brother
Because my eldest half-brother works for a brokerage I’d be willing to put money on the fact that he has a relatively recent vintage Microsoft Office Suite. This means that he’d have Excel and since I have Excel we’ve found a common ground between a developer and a non-developer. Alas, it also means that I’m the one that needs to figure-out how to jam an XML document into Excel. Maybe using a shoehorn might work?
There is, however, a little known trick with Excel 2002 that isn’t quite a shoe horn, but definitely fits the bill. Figure A offers a little hint as to the trick that I intend to use.
Now that we know that Excel can deal with XML there is still the minor problem of how to get from point X to point E. There is, however, a road map that we can follow, namely the creation of a simple spread sheet and saving it as an XML document. What we get is a document that looks like the one shown in Figure B and Listing B, one of those bizarre, not written by humans, document.
Listing B — An XML spread sheet
Dissecting the XML spreadsheet
As odd as the document is, there is actually a weird kind of structure to it. For example, it can be broken down into the following XML element hierarchy:
- Open the XML file and select all the text by clicking Ctrl + A then copy it by clicking Ctrl+C.
- Open Notepad ++ and paste the text from the previous step.
**You will need to the delete the first two lines in the document:
- From the top menu, open the Language sub-menu, then select XML.
- After you choose the correct language, click File, then Save As. Choose where to save the file and click Save.
- Open Excel and click on File from the ribbon bar.
- Choose Open and Browse .
- Locate the file you saved in the previous steps and choose Open.
- A new pop-up box is displayed. Choose As an XML table and click OK.
- Another pop-up is displayed, to alert you that this source has no schema. Ignore this error and click OK.
- You should now see the Excel sheet populated with all the correct fields.
Convert XML to XLS documents online from any device, with a modern browser like Chrome, Opera and Firefox.
Discover GroupDocs.Conversion free online app!
- Convert PDF to WORD, DOCX to PDF, XLSX to PDF, PPTX to JPGs, VSDX to PDF, HTML to DOCX, EPUB to PDF, RTF to DOCX, XPS to PDF, ODT to DOCX, ODP to PPTX and many more document formats (see supported formats list)
- Simple way to instant convert XML to XLS
- Save WORD to PDF, EXCEL to PDF, PDF to WORD, POWERPOINT to IMAGE and many more document formats (see supported formats list)
- Convert XML from anywhere – it works on all platforms including Windows, MacOS, Android and iOS
- All XML files are processed on our servers so no additional plugins or software installation is required
- All XML files are processed using GroupDocs.Conversion document conversion API
Free Document Conversion, Viewer, Merger app for Windows
- Easily convert, view or merge unlimited files on your own Windows PC.
- Process Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF and more than 100 file formats.
- No limit of file size.
- Batch conversion of multiple files.
- One app with rich features like Conversion, Viewer, Merger, Parser, Comparison, Signature
- Regular FREE updates with new features coming every month
XML Extended Markup Language
XML stands for Extensible Markup Language that is similar to HTML but different in using tags for defining objects. The whole idea behind creation of XML file format was to store and transport data without being dependent on software or hardware tools. Its popularity is due to it being both human as well as machine readable. This enables it to create common data protocols in the form of objects to be stored and shared over network such as World Wide Web (WWW).
XLS Microsoft Excel Binary File Format
Files with XLS extension represent Excel Binary File Format. Such files can be created by Microsoft Excel as well as other similar spreadsheet programs such as OpenOffice Calc or Apple Numbers. File saved by Excel are known as Workbook where each workbook can have one or more worksheets. Data is stored and displayed to users in table format in worksheet and can span numeric values, text data, formulas, external data connections, images and charts.
Are you looking for online tool to convert xml to excel? Now get all the access to your account in one-click using the Online Tool links provided below:
Convert XML to Excel Online – XML to Excel Converter – Conversion Tools – Online …
XML to Excel Converter. Convert XML to Excel Online with our Free Converter. Import XML, Save Excel (XLSX, XLS). Large files up to 20Gb supported. API available.
Convert XML to Excel Online | WTOOLS
About XML data conversion to Excel file. The XML to Excel Converter was created for online transform XML(Extensible Markup Language) data into Excel(Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets). It’s very simple and easy way to transform and share XML to XLSX file. How it Works? Just paste or upload your XML data to the textarea above and click to the button “Convert & Download” and you will instantly get …
XML to XLS – Convert document online
XML is a textual data format with strong support via Unicode for different human languages. Several schema systems exist to aid in the definition of XML-based languages, while programmers have developed many application programming interfaces (APIs) to aid the processing of XML data. OpenOffice.org has created documentation of the Excel format.
XML to Excel Converter: Convert your XML data to Excel – Free Online Tools For Developers
Best Online XML to Excel Converter: Online XML data converter tool to Excel
XML to XLS convert free online – Coolutils
Convert XML in 3 ways: expand to table form, highlight XML tree or create a report. Add the page counter or any text watermark to each page of the output file. Our batch XML converter is very flexible: you can rely on default settings or change any of them to your needs.
5 Best Free Online XML to Excel converters – List Of Freeware
Office Converter is another good online document converter. Convert your XML 2 Excel with the help of this free online tool. You can convert a single file or batch convert XML to Excel format. Upload one or more XML files from your PC, or enter the URL of the XML file. You have to start the conversion separately for each XML file.
How to Convert XML to Excel? – Technology and Online Tools
Unlike PDF, which has to be converted into Excel to be able to use the data (you can convert it with Cometdocs), XML and CSV can be imported into Excel fairly easy. We have already shown you how to import CSV into Excel, and vice versa. Now, we are going to show you how to import XML format into Microsoft Excel.
Convert Excel to XML Online – Excel to XML Converter – Conversion Tools – Online …
Excel to XML Converter. Convert Excel to XML Online with our Free Converter. Large files up to 1Gb supported. API available.
Convert Excel To XML Online | WTOOLS
Free tool for online converting Excel code into XML, generate XML from xlsx quickly.