As we know, VLC is a powerful media player that supports playing most popular video and audio formats, such as MP4, AVI, MP3, WMV, etc. Apart from playing videos and audio, it can also record the audio from microphone. However, we need to note that it canвЂ™t record system sound. Read this post and learn how to record audio with VLC.
- Part 1. How to Record Audio from Microphone with VLC
- Part 2. How to Record System Sound or Streaming Audio
- Part 3. FAQs of Recording Audio with VLC
Part 1. How to Record Audio from Microphone with VLC
For recording audio with VLC, you need to know that VLC only allows users to record audio from microphone. Check the step-by-step guide below to record audio from microphone via VLC on Windows and Mac.
Part 2. How to Record System Sound or Streaming Audio
VLC can record audio from microphone. However, if you are going to use VLC to record audio from system sound or grab streaming audio from YouTube, VLC cannot help you make it. Therefore, you need to choose a more professional audio recorder to help you record audio from system sound on your Windows or Mac. Here you can use Aiseesoft Audio Recorder to help you record music, radio or online audio and save the recorded audio in MP3/WMA/AAC/M4A for easy playback.
- Record audio from system audio card, microphone voice or both
- Record audio and save it as an MP3/WMA/AAC/M4A file
- Capture any video, audio, online tutorial, etc. on Mac/Windows
- Powerful editing features to edit captured video and audio file
Steps to Record Audio with High Quality
You can also use this audio capture to record voice over music, streaming music, online video, gameplay, etc.
Part 3. FAQs of Recording Audio with VLC
1. How to record video with VLC
First, open VLC on your computer and click Media> Open. Then choose the Capture Devices tab. Change the capture mode to Desktop. After that, click the pull-down menu beside the Play button and choose Convert. Go to Browse to select a destination to save the screen recording and name the file. Next, click Start and your screen will be recorded. To stop the recording, click the Stop button on VLC and the recording file will be saved on the destination automatically.
2. Is VLC safe to download?
VLC Media Player is totally safe to download to your computer.
3. How to fix VLC not having sound?
The VLC has no sound problem may be caused by an outdated VLC version, which you can fix it by upgrading to the latest VLC version to get the latest program enhancement that lacks on your previous version.
4. What is the best alternative to VLC for recording audio?
The best alternative to VLC is Aiseesoft Audio Recorder. You can not only use it to capture sound from internal or external sound on your computer, but also record your screen and take snapshots with ease.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.7 / 5 (based on 106 votes) Follow Us on
Is there any free voice recorder and editor? How do you edit a voice recording? This post makes a list of 10 best audio recorder and editor apps including free online ones to help you record voice and edit the recording.
We identify and provide reviews of the best HD audio recorder software and hardware for you to capture and make high quality music and audio files simply.
Here we are highlighting the top 10 best voice recorder apps for Mac that are simple to use and allow you to easily capture your voice with a MacBook or other Mac machines.
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is the best screen recording software to capture any activity like online videos, webcam calls, game on Windows/Mac.
VLC player can record audio from microphone. However, it can’t record system sound. Therefore, if you need to record audio from YouTube or other streaming videos, you can use FonePaw Audio Recorder , which can record sound from both microphone and system as well as screen activities. It is free to download now.
VLC is a powerful media player that plays several audio formats, such as avi., mp3., wmv., asf. and so on. Expect for playing videos and audios, you can also record audio with VLC.
Read this post and learn how to record audio with VLC, including audio from YouTube videos or streaming videos
Use VLC to Record Audio from Microphone
Steps of recording audio from microphone via VLC on Windows and Mac are a little different.
Open VLC and then go to “View” > “Advanced Controls”.
Next, enter ” Media” > ” Open Capture Device”. Click the pull-down menu of “Audio device name” > choose the audio source.
- Microphone: record audio from your computer’s microphone.
- Stereo Mix: record audio from speakers.
Click “Play” > and click the red button to begin recording. Click it again to stop. To pause and continue, click the “Play” button. Click the square button to stop playing.
Go to “Media” > “Open File” or Open “This PC” The recorded audio files’ name starts with “vlc-record”.
The steps of Mac are pretty much the same as Windows:
Enter “File” > “Open Capture Device” > “Audio”.
Select a source for VLC to record audio from:
Built-in Microphone: record Mac’s internal microphone.
Built-in Line Input: record external mic.
Soundflower Input: install Soundflower and record your Mac’s audio.
Click “Open” > On the menu bar go to “Playback” > “Record”.
Go to “Media” > “Open File” and search for the files starting with “vlc-record”.
Tip: Record Audio from YouTube or Streaming Videos
VLC is able to record videos and audios that play on the VLC media player. However, if you are going to use VLC to record audio from speakers, YouTube, or streaming videos, VLC cannot record system sound.
Some users may ask what to do if we really want to record clear audio on our computer. You can use FonePaw Audio Recorder
It can not only record your voice through a microphone but also audio in high quality from sound card, YouTube, NetFlix, and so on. Besides, you are able to improve the sound quality with “Microphone noise cancellation” and “Microphone enhancement” feature, which can be tested before recording.
More than that, FonePaw Screen Recorder can record video with audio
(opens new window) while recording the screen. When you finish recording, you can share the audio to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter in one click.
Use VLC to Record Audio from Computer
To record audio from a video or music playing on VLC, you should make the record button visible first.
Launch VLC, go to “View” > ” Advanced Controls” and the advanced toolbar is above the standard toolbar.
Click the red button to start recording.
The audio recording is stored in “My Documents/My Music/” as an MP3 file with the name beginning with “vlc-record”.
Tip: Can VLC Record Screen Capture with Audio?
VLC Capture Device cannot record computer screen and audio at the same time. If you are going record screen with audio
In all, VLC is a versatile media player, helping you record videos and audios. But if you want to record sound or audio in high-quality, FonePaw Screen Recorder might be a good alternative to VLC. It can records screens with audios, and also take a screenshot. Just download and try it for free!
Last Updated on December 30, 2020 by Robert Jackson
VLC, short for VideoLan Client, is a powerful open-source and cross-platform media player. It helps users run videos and audios in almost all formats, and besides video and audio playback, VLC also offers an in-app screen/audio record feature.
However, the VLC recording feature is never easy to use, and multiple normal VLC users are confused about how exactly to use the VLC to record screen or audio.
To help those who do not know how to use VLC’s recording feature, today, I will walk you through the total process of using VLC to record screen or audio.
VLC screen/audio recording:
1. Record screen/audio with VLC
Step 1 Turn on Advanced Controls
First of all, you need to take control of your VLC.
Launch VLC on your PC, locate View on the menu bar and choose Advanced Controls.
Step 2 Set up for recording
On the VLC window, click the Play button to open a window where you can set up for the recording.
On the window, go to the Capture Device module, here, to record a video or audio from VLC, we need to choose DirectShow mode.
Then, decide the audio source for your file. On the Audio device name option, you may choose:
- Microphone: Record the sound coming from a plugin microphone.
- Mixed / Stereo Mixed: Record the internal sound playing on the computer.
Note: You cannot use VLC to record system sound and microphone sound simultaneously.
Next, click Play and choose Convert from the drop-down list.
On the Convert window, locate Profile, there, you can decide the format of your file.
- If you want to make a video file, you can choose Video – H264 + MP3 (MP4) and VLC will create an MP4 video.
- Or, you’re about to record an audio file, you can choose Audio – MP3 and VLC will give you an MP3 audio file.
Click Browse to select a folder to save the file, and name the file beforehand.
Now, everything is set, click Start to proceed.
Step 3 Start recording
On your VLC, play the movie or music you plan to record.
And click the Record button to start recording.
To stop the recording, click the Record button again. The file will be exported to the folder you set before.
2. Record screen with VLC
To record your desktop with VLC, follow these steps.
Step 1 Turn on Advanced Mode
On your VLC, locate View on the menu and choose Advanced Mode.
Step 2 Open Capture Device
Next, we need to locate the desktop capture feature.
Still, on your VLC, go to Media > Open Capture Device.
VLC will open a new window for you to set up the capture.
On the window, set the Capture mode to Desktop. And move down decide the frame rate of the output file first.
Technically, a video with a higher frame rate will be smoother but producing it will give an extra burden to your computer. If your computer is not that powerful to handle the high-frame-rate production, well, it will get laggy and even frozen.
All in all, if you have a very advanced computer and want a perfect video, you can set it as a 60 or higher value. Otherwise, a value between 30 to 60 will do for a rather low-end one.
Step 3 Start capturing your desktop
Click Play and VLC will display the whole screen on its interface.
Next, click Record to start capturing the desktop. You can minimize the VLC window and perform other activities.
Click the Record button again to stop the process and the file will be saved on a default folder. You can locate the file by going to This PC > Video.
- VLC will not catch your vocal through a microphone or the system sound playing on the speaker, you will have a completely silent output video .
- You can decide the format of the output file. On the Open Capture Device, open the Convert and locate the Profile option, select the format you desire.
Tip: Try Aiseesoft Screen Recorder to record video and audio
Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is a powerful screen and audio recorder with which you can record all your on-screen activities and all the sounds running on your computer.
Let’s find out some main features of Aiseesoft Screen Recorder:
- It supports to record the whole screen, a window/application, or a selected portion.
- You can use the program to record both microphone and system sound with one click.
- It offers multiple adjustable configurations, including format, fps, quality of the output.
- You can activate a recording with a keyboard shortcut without delay.
- The program provides editing and trimming tools for further creation.
- You will never find a watermark on the output file.
More are waiting for you to explore.
If you’re interested in the program, click the button to download it on your computer and record your screen for free.
Now, you know the additional recording features of VLC and how to use the player to record a video and audio file, try it and start making your file. Also, if you’re not satisfied with the effect of VLC, use Aiseesoft Screen Recorder.
If you have been looking for a simple way to record your desktop and may be share the video on YouTube, then you already have the means. The means is of course VLC Media Player. There are many features of this software besides the ability to play videos of any format. Recording your desktop in your desired format happens to be one of them.
To perform desktop video recording, we have to use the “Capture Devices” feature. It is accessible from Media > Open Capture Device. From there we will choose Desktop as a capture mode and stream it to a video file. Advanced users have already figured out the steps, but for the simple user- here are the steps in detail:
- In VLC, click on Media > Open Capture Device [CTRL + C].
- For Capture Mode, choose “Desktop”. Also chose a desired frame rate.
- In the bottom, press the small down facing arrow and choose Stream.
A stream output wizard will open. Hit next.
- In “New destination” make sure “File” is selected and then click on Add.
- Browse the location to save your recording file and give in a full filename like record.mp4. Hit Next.
- Under profile choose the video format and container. The default H264 video format with MP3 audio is a great choice. Hit Next.
- Click on “Stream” and the recording begins immediately.
- To end the recording, press the stop button in the main VLC screen.
- You will know that the recording is in progress as the timer in player screen increments.
- After stopping, locate the video file you just saved and play it to see your recorded screen.
- If you want a smoother video, then try increasing the frame rate. Higher frame rate means smoother videos but it requires greater computing power and resources of your laptop or desktop.
Display Mouse Pointer in Recorded Videos
If you’ve noticed that without additional configuration, your mouse pointer is not recorded when you capture your desktop using VLC. To configure a pointer to be displayed, you’ll have to download a mouse pointer image and configure it to be used as the screen mouse image.
- Download a mouse pointer image file. Here’s one for you.
- Place the mouse.png file in your VLC Program files folder i.e. C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\
- In step 7 of the desktop capture wizard—when you reach the Stream Output option step—add the following at the end:
In Generated stream output string and click stream
You can have all the fancy looking graphics as your mouse pointer.
VLC Media Player flawlessly streams online radio programs to your computer. It’s easy and quick. Did you also know that VLC Media Player is great for saving online radio streams as MP3 files in your PC? You can record those streaming radio shows as audio files to listen to them later. This way you won’t me missing any online radio programs even if you are busy.
You can easily configuration VLC to download live radio shows to your computer while you are away or busy. Then, when you come back, you can tune in to the show without missing anything. This is one great feature that VLC has been providing to its users.
To record and save/download online radio streams as MP3 using VLC :
- Open an online radio stream from Media > Open Network Stream [Shortcut: CTRL + N]
- In “Open Media” dialog box, paste in your .pls or .m3u online audio streaming URL.
- At the bottom of the “Open Media” dialog box you will find a small downward facing arrow right next to the Play button. Click on that arrow to bring up the streaming option. Then Click on “Stream”. The shortcut for this is ALT + S.
- “Stream Output” wizard will open. The source is already entered, so just hit the “Next” button.
- In “Destination Setup” make sure that your new destination is selected as “File”, then click on Add.
- Immediately you will reach the file name selection box. Click on the “Browse” button to browse to a location where you will be saving your audio.
- In the save file dialog box, give a file name of your choice like radio.mp3 and click on save. Then click on Next.
- Transcoding Options are displayed. We do not require to use transcoding on this. So uncheck the check box of “Activate Transcoding”. Press next to continue.
- The final step is “Option Setup”. Leave it as it is. Stream all elementary streams is left unchecked. Click on “Stream” button.
- Streaming will begin as soon as the connection with the radio show is established. This happens really quickly. You will know that your program is being saved by looking at the elapsed time in VLC’s controls. That just means that the number of seconds and minutes will add-on.
- After a certain amount of time, when you are done with recording the stream, from the VLC’s playing control bar hit the stop button to stop the saving of online audio stream.
- To listen to your show, navigate to the location where you saved the audio MP3 file. Just open it, preferably with VLC Media Player.
26 thoughts to “Record Online Radio Streams as MP3 Using VLC Media Player”
I have the same problem to save download and save a broadcast stream. I carefully went through the 10 steps, but the mp3 file (it is created in the target folder) contains 0 bytes. The stream will not even play in VLC. I can only play (but not save) it in Firefox with the source site open. Earlier versions (prior to 3) had a problem playing and saving youtube files, but an updated youtube.luac file for VLC version 2 fixed the problem. The update is included in version 3 and up. However, the stream I am trying to save is not youtube. The stream name that appears in the Firefox address box does not have any file-type for extension. My VLC version is 3.0.11. Thanks for any help.
The problem may be because of security issues of today and the site address displayed in the browser window is not recognized by VLC. For instance an internet radio site address may look like this: https://www.internet-radio.com/servers/tools/playlistgenerator/?u=http://184.108.40.206:8185/listen.pls?sid=1&t=.pls. However if you paste only the http part of this address (http://220.127.116.11:8185/listen.pls) into VLC, it would both play or stream depending on what you want to do.
Hope this helps.
Doesn’t work. MP3 file created is completely blank.
Posted by Benj Murray January 13, 2021 18:40
In order to record screen and sound on your computer, VLC Media Player should be one of the best choices you can take into consideration. How to record screen with VLC Media Player? It is more than a media player to playback media player, but also a screen recorder to capture desktop screen with ease. Just learn more details about the process for recording video via VLC from the article now.
VLC Record Screen
- Part 1: How to Record Desktop Screen Using VLC Media Player
- Part 2: Best VLC Alternative to Record Screen with Audio
Part 1: How to Record Desktop Screen Using VLC Media Player
If you were curious as to how you can start recording your screen using VLC Media Player, or save the recorded videos to the desired format, you can learn more details about the process as below.
How to Record Desktop Screen Using VLC Media Player
Step 1Launch the VLC Media Player on your computer, head to the View menu and choose the Advanced Controls option to display the Open Media Window with the VLC record button.
Step 2Choose the Capture Device menu. Unfold the drop-down list to select the Desktop option as the capture mode to record desktop screen via VLC Media Player. It allows you to set up the frame rate as 30 f/s in the Desired frame rate for the capture options.
Note : When you want to save the recorded video of VLC with high quality, you can also change it to 60 f/s instead. Of course, there are 24 f/s, 12 f/s or other frame rates.
Step 3After that, you can find the desktop screen within the VLC Media Player. To record desktop on Windows via VLC, you only need to click the Record button in the bottom left corner.
How to Save Recorded Video on VLC Media Player
Step 1Usually VLC save the recorded files in AVI format. Just click on the little down arrow near the Play button, you can choose the Convert option to save the recorded video with VLC as MP4 instead.
Step 2From the Profile options, you can choose the Video – H.264+MP3 (MP4) option to save the recording audio and video. Of course, you can also click the Browse button to select the destination folder.
Step 3If you are satisfied with the output, you can click the Start button to start recording. When done, back to VLC Media Player and click the Stop button to save the recording streaming file to your computer.
Part 2: Best VLC Alternative to Record Screen with Audio
As a versatile media player, VLC Media Player has only limited features to record desktop screen. You are not able to adjust the recording screen, add webcam file, or even edit the recording directly. If you need to record screen with VLC alternative as a profession, Apeaksoft Screen Recorder is a desired screen recorder to capture video and audio. It has the advanced features to draw and annotation your project.
Step 1Download and install the VLC alternative to record screen, launch the program and choose the Preferences menu to set the recording parameters for video and audio recording. It enables you to setup hotkeys, recording, and the output formats.
Step 2Go back to the home interface. You can click the Video Recorder menu to select the size of the recording area. Moreover, you can also choose the Audio Recorder menu to add the system sound and microphone. Of course, you can also add the Webcam files.
Step 3After settings, you can click the REC button to begin recording the desktop screen as VLC alternative. You can use the hotkeys to record and manage the recording process. During the process, you are able to make drawing or add annotation based on your need.
Step 4When you click the Stop button, you can find all the recorded files and offer other tools on the right-side bar for you to edit videos. It enables you to transfer the recording to iOS devices, editing the recording or even enhance the recording with the built-in video enhancer.
When you want to record the screen with VLC, it is the ultimate guide you should know. But there are some limitations for editing the videos, or save to the desired format, you have to use the Apeaksoft Screen Recorder to get the desired files with ease.
All of us want to record our favorite section from various video files and for that we download various video converting programs but we can use our favorite VLC player to record audio, video and image files. So use VLC media player to record audio, video and image files by following some easy steps.
- 1. Use VLC media Player to record audio
- 2. Use VLC media player to record video
- 3. Use VLC media player to capture image
- 4. Download VLC media player
- 5. VLC media player alternatives
- 6. Conclusion
Steps to use VLC media player as a converter
1. Open VLC media player.
Press Ctrl + R keyboard key at a time.
3. Click on the File tab (if needed) then click on the Add button and browse to select your video file(s) which you want to convert as audio file(s).
4. After that click to the Convert/Save button
5. Now select audio format like Audio-MP3 (your wish) from “Profile” drop down menu.
6. Then browse the destination where you want to save the audio file(s) by clicking on the Browse button and type the File name.
7. Now click on the Save button that’s save your video file(s) as audio file(s).
Method – 1:
Steps to record video using VLC media player :
2. To start recording, just click on the Recordbutton and to stop it just click again.
Note : Recording file is stored somewhere in your computer under a name like vlc-record-Date-Time-Channel-video_name.mp3. I guess that you find recorded file in Windows under My Documents/Videos/, I don’t know where recorded file will be stored under Linux or any other OS (updates are welcome).
Method – 2 :
Record button is hidden by default in VLC media player, so we may record a part of video using keyboard shortcut. Press Shift + R at a time to start video recording and press again to stop.
Steps to capture image file using VLC player
1. Go to Video menu and select Take Snapshot to capture image file.
Press Shift + S at a time to capture video screen as image file.
Note : Captured file will be stored in My Documents/Pictures/ (Windows), but you can set the directory of captured file. To set the destination, Press Ctrl + P at a time then select Video from left navigation And at the bottom of setting page, click on Browse and set the directory where you wish to save captured image files.
Download VLC media player
VLC media player is free to download and use. So click the below link to download VLC media player
Download VLC media player 2.1.2(32-bit) >> 22.98 MB
To Record with VLC Windows
Open VLC Player
Set the recording location
In VLC select Preferences from the Tools menu
In the Preferences Window, select the Input/Codecs tab. Use the Files > Record directory or filename field and click Browse to find a location to store/record your saved video files. C:\Users\username\Videos or another folder on your drive. (On Bethel systems, seems not to record to Desktop?)
Click the Save button at the bottom of the Input & Codecs Settings window.
Activate the Record Tool: Select the View menu and select Advanced Controls. This will place the record tools on your VLC player window.
Access your Network Stream
Select the Media menu and select Open Network Stream
Enter the address of the network stream in the Please enter a network URL field and click on the Play button in the Open Media window. Note that an authentication box may pop up if access to a network stream is restricted.
In the VLC player window click on the red Record button, which will turn blue to signify that recording is enabled.
Press the Record button again to stop recording. Recordings are stored in the folder you set in step 2 above.
To Record with VLC (Mac)
File/Media > Open Network
Paste in URL for Multimedia Stream from above
Check Display the stream locally
Check File and browse to where you want to save the file
Encapsulation method set to MPEG 4
Click Open to start, enter username and password for the camera and click okay